Thursday 9 February 2012

Filling the Gaps

After I got home from work last night I got to work filling some nail holes and other general abuse the stairs have suffered over the years.  I really did not obsess over making the stairs perfect for two reasons.  One is that that would be next to impossible, there is so much damage.  More importantly, I don't want these stairs to look perfect.  They're close to a century old, you'd have a few scars and wrinkles if you were 92 too!  I think all the markings make them interesting and tell a bit of a story. 





So I mainly just filled in the holes from staples and nails - the intentional holes.  A few of the risers had pretty large gauges in them so I filled those in too.  But other than that I left them to their own devices.  I'm not done sanding all of the stain off yet though, so I'll have to do another round of wood fill after that.







Any tips or advice on how to tackle the profile of the treads?  Please don't tell me I'll have to do that part by hand!  I fear I might though...

On a side note, I've spent a good while with my nose to the grain of these steps and this is my favourite riser...look at that grain!  Almost makes me sad to paint over it.


Did you get any projects done last night??


No comments:

Post a Comment