Thursday 15 December 2011

How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck...

...if a woodchuck could chuck all the wood on our main floor?

After moving everything down to the main floor we realized that we have got a lot of wood going on.  A lot of different types of wood and different stains of wood.  For now, and most likely for a while (we're not made of money!) it'll stay that way.  But it's not our fav, that's for sure. 

We have our new bamboo floors which have a reddish hue...


We've got our new butcherblock countertops which are blonde...


Now I know lots of people don't like mixing any wood tones and prefer to have them all match.  For us, we liked the contrast that the floors and the counters offered each other - they didn't clash or compete.  But thennn we brought down our dining table (a hand-me-down from my great-great aunt who must have lived in the time of tiny people because the table is so short!)...

And what ever happened to our 4th chair??? 

I don't know how to give you a proper scale of this short table, but just trust.  It's short.  I'm not sure how long it will last us either, it's cracking...

The two ends of the table are extended right now, and they are not held up very sturdily.  I'm not sure how well you can see in this picture, but only one of the two pieces are actually supporting the table extension...


(the piece closest to the camera is touching the tabletop, but the further one does not touch at all)  It's like that on the other side of the table too

Darryl has dreams of building our own dining table, I would love something like this...

Pinned Image

Then we brought down a hand-me-down hutch from Darryl's side (which he refuses to let me paint because "you just don't get this kind of wood anymore!")  My argument:  it's not an heirloom, it was a yard sale find, so let me at it!  I had great visions of painting it some fabulous colour, but keeping the top of the base piece stained and then wallpapering or stenciling the insides.  Ho hum...


Then our hand-me-down coffee table from my parents...


Some craigslist stools with an ebony stain...



And the newest addition of our couch's legs...


There's just too much wood!

What's your take on mixing woods?  Do you have any pieces that you're dying to tackle?  Do you also have a significan other who loves wood so much it pains them to change it??  ;)

3 comments:

  1. I'm all for an eclectic mix of wood... but I think you should get a gallon of cream or warm grey paint and have at the table and the hutch for sure. Go ahead and tell Daryl it was my idea. I'll take the blame.

    Also, we have the same problem with our dining table and so we got some casters from Lee Valley. The 4 inches makes a big difference. They're cheap and they solve the problem, even lending a little industrial vibe to the space.

    I love your little yellow stools by the way, and it's nice to see you moving on down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Meg... even if you don't paint the table - definitely paint the hutch! You could also paint the legs of the couch the same colour as your stools maybe? Those could for sure use some paint! :)

    Good luck my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it with men who gasp at the thought of painting wood??? I want to paint my Ikea bookcases and he was aghast! I am one who will go ahead and paint, if it isn't an heirloom, then go for it! He will like it in the end!

    ReplyDelete